The Charitable Foundation "Our Children" is recruiting and training individual volunteer mentors for children from boarding schools in the Yaroslavl and Smolensk regions.
We invite active, proactive and caring adults who are ready to undergo training and become participants in the Let's Be Together mentoring project to help orphans successfully socialize in society after graduating from an orphanage.
At the first steps into an independent life, teenagers at home are surrounded by the support of loved ones who are ready to support, give advice, share experiences, and cheer them up. Graduates of orphanages have a harder time - they plunge into an independent life suddenly, unprepared and without loved ones nearby.
What does a mentor do?
- Helps the child to notice their strengths and successes, maintaining self-confidence in him, increasing his self-esteem,
- Helps the child to better understand and distinguish their emotions, to express them in socially acceptable ways, helps to better understand the feelings of other people,
- In situations of conflict, shows the child various options for resolving it,
- Promotes the child's motivation to learn, to choose a further profession,
- Teaches the child the ability to critically assess life situations, see not only the negative, but also the positive sides, encourages him to look for constructive ways out of difficult situations,
- Helps to adapt to life outside the orphanage.
“With my ward, I want to share my love for outdoor activities and for life in general. Help her reveal the best qualities that she certainly possesses. Teach her to learn lessons from life situations, share her experience and knowledge,”says Tatiana, volunteer mentor of the Let's Be Together project.
Tatyana meets her ward every week. Girls do needlework, cook goodies, or just spend time in free communication on walks.
The research results of the “Our Children” Foundation show that the appearance and constant presence of reliable adults in the life of adolescents significantly increases the possibility of successful socialization of children outside the walls of the boarding school.
Who Can Become a Mentor?
A Russian citizen over 23 years old without addictions, convictions and mental illness can become a volunteer mentor of the Let's Be Together project of the Our Children charity foundation.
To join the project, leave a request on the website nastavnik.detinashi.ru or call +7 903 649 44 04 (in Smolensk) and +7 4852 681126 (in Yaroslavl).