Doctors of the St. Vladimir Children's City Clinical Hospital of the Moscow Health Department pulled a sharp sewing pin from the chest of an eight-month-old baby. This was reported to the Moscow City News Agency in the press service of the Moscow Department of Health.
“An ambulance urgently delivered an eight-month-old baby to the St. Vladimir Children's City Clinical Hospital of the Moscow Healthcare Department, who swallowed a sewing pin. The mother said that the child was sitting in her arms and playing with a pin, which was pinned to her dressing gown. She did not notice how the baby swallowed it, but she immediately guessed - the child began to cough, profuse salivation appeared, and the pin from the dressing gown disappeared. At the hospital, the baby had an X-ray of the chest, where an open pin was clearly visible, which was stuck with its sharp end up next to the aorta. Removal of a foreign body with such a sharp protruding end could threaten the child's life. The skill and experience of thoracic surgeons specializing in chest surgery at St. Vladimir's Children's Hospital helped to cope with the situation,”the press service said.
As explained in the department, the doctors grabbed the sharp part of the pin with a special device for examining the esophagus, pushed it into the stomach and turned it blunt end up.
“Then the pin was completely inserted into the tube of the esophagoscope and removed. Today mom and baby are already at home,”the press service added.