How To Correctly Draw Up Consent For A Child To Travel Abroad

How To Correctly Draw Up Consent For A Child To Travel Abroad
How To Correctly Draw Up Consent For A Child To Travel Abroad

Video: How To Correctly Draw Up Consent For A Child To Travel Abroad

Video: How To Correctly Draw Up Consent For A Child To Travel Abroad
Video: Minor (Child) Travel Consent Form - EXPLAINED 2023, September

A tourist trip outside the borders of Russia can be frustrated if you do not complete all the necessary documents. One of them is the consent of one or both parents for the child to leave the country. The expert tells when and how to draw up such a document.


Hello! For the winter holidays, my husband and his 8-year-old son are going abroad. Do I need my consent for my child to cross the border?

Svetlana, 30 years old

There are two types of consent: the first is parental consent for a child under 18 to travel abroad, which is presented to the officers of the Russian border service. It is drawn up in accordance with the legislation of Russia. The second type is consent, which is required by consular offices and embassies when obtaining a visa for a child, and their registration is regulated by the legislation of the host country. To avoid non-standard situations at the border, it is always better to independently study the rules of entry into a particular country in advance or get advice from a consulate or visa center.

Consent is always notarized. The general rule is as follows: if a minor child travels abroad Russia accompanied by one of the parents and the other has no objections, then the consent of the second parent to the child's departure abroad does not need to be drawn up. Also, consent is not required in order for the child to return back to the Russian Federation from a trip abroad. But again, you need to keep in mind the rules of the host country.

The question often arises: what if the parents are divorced? As practice shows, in such cases, children most often remain to live with their mother, and if it is necessary for the child to travel abroad, it is most difficult to obtain consent from the father. At the same time, if the father does not agree with the child's departure outside the Russian Federation, he can prevent this.

It is very simple to do this - it is enough to write an application to the territorial subdivision of the Migration Department (formerly the FMS) of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, which, in turn, will transfer this information to the Border Service of the FSB. Accordingly, the border guards will stop the "restricted to travel" child at the border.

In practice, sometimes there are situations when it is impossible to obtain permission from the father. For example, if he died, then when leaving the Russian Federation, you must have a certificate of his death.

To obtain consent (permission) for the child to travel abroad the Russian Federation, the parent who gives such consent must apply to the notary. If consent is required from both parents, then they come along with the following documents:

- birth certificate of the child;

- parents' passports;

- data of the persons with whom the child is traveling.

Consent to the child's departure abroad is drawn up in accordance with the requirements of Article 20 of the Federal Law of August 15, 1996 No. 114-FZ "On the procedure for leaving the Russian Federation and entering the Russian Federation." It must necessarily contain:

- the time limit for the departure of a minor citizen from the Russian Federation (the current legislation does not set the deadline for a child to travel abroad);

- the state (states) that the child intends to visit.

It is best to indicate a specific calendar date of departure and entry, as well as specific countries to which the child can leave. General formulations such as “Schengen countries”, “Southeast Asian countries”, “to all countries of the world” are unacceptable.

The names of the states planned to be visited must, in agreement, be designated in accordance with the All-Russian Classifier of the World Countries. At the same time, taking into account the terms of the Schengen Agreement, the designation in the notarial consent of a particular state of the child's departure with reference to the opportunity to visit other Schengen countries does not contradict the requirements of Russian legislation (for example, "to the French Republic and other Schengen countries").

Many countries, if a child is going to cross the border with third parties unaccompanied by parents, require consent to leave from both parents. In the absence of such, your son or daughter is simply deployed at the border.

On the other hand, there are a number of states, for entry into which a child traveling with an accompanying person needs only the consent of the father or only the mother. For example, children under 14 years old can enter Kazakhstan, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyzstan, Abkhazia and South Ossetia on a birth certificate with an insert or a mark on Russian citizenship. Although, when traveling to Ukraine, along with a birth certificate, a child will need to have a passport with him.

The cost of obtaining consent for the departure of a minor child abroad in Moscow is 1200 rubles. This amount is fixed and does not depend on the number of minor children leaving, the number of parents signing consent, as well as the number of accompanying children abroad.


Alexey Petrov, notary of the city of Moscow since 1997:

- Provides all types of notarial assistance. He is a member of the commission of the Moscow City Notary Chamber for control over the performance of professional duties by notaries in the city of Moscow.